Five Ways to Prevent Wet Basement Issues
It’s important to take action when it comes to wet basements. Taking preventive measures can help you avoid costly repairs down the road and reduce potential health risks caused by mold or mildew. This April, ProTec Inspection Services is taking part in Wet Basement Month to raise awareness about the importance of preventing water damage. Here are five quick and inexpensive ways to safeguard your basement against water:
- Improve Grading – One of the most cost-effective ways to combat flooding in the basement is to improve the grading around your home. By adding dense clay type soil around the foundation, you can ensure that rainwater runs away from your house instead of towards it. This simple fix can help prevent costly water damage in the future.
- Extend Downspouts – To further protect against flooding, extend downspouts away from the house, ensuring proper drainage of rainwater away from your property. With a few pieces of plastic pipe, this easy and simple fix can be done quickly and inexpensively.
- Install a Dehumidifier – If your basement is damp or prone to mold growth, installing a dehumidifier can help reduce moisture levels and prevent more damaging problems over time. This cost-effective solution makes an ideal long term preventive measure against water damage in basements.
- Apply Waterproof Paint – To further protect against seepage through walls and floors, waterproof paint products can be applied for added protection that will not break the bank. These products are easy to apply and will keep moisture out of those hard-to-reach places where leaks could otherwise occur undetected until it is too late to act on them effectively.
- Seal Cracks – Small cracks in walls or floors should be sealed with a waterproof sealant as soon as possible so that moisture does not get into those otherwise difficult areas of your home where leaks could go unnoticed until it is too late for effective treatment measures such as flood restoration or mold removal services. This quick fix will provide additional protection against floods in your basement while also helping you save money in the long run by eliminating costly repair bills caused by undetected seepage points inside walls or beneath floors!
These five tips will help you easily solve 90% of basement water issues without having to spend thousands of dollars on expensive flood prevention services, making Wet Basement Month the ideal time for homeowners to proactively protect their homes against floods now!
Steps beyond the recommendations above include a French drain and sump pump and or professional water proofing. Most recent homes are equipped with a French drain and sump pump system already. Professional water proofing is more of a water management system than water proofing. They will do whatever it takes to solve the problem and guarantee their work, but it will be costly. Do the cheap stuff first. It could save you thousands of dollars.